Terms & Conditions
Rules & Terms and Conditions
- Ask as well as give – we all need a helping hand from time to time
- Treat others the way we would like to be treated
- Respect each other’s privacy and keep conversations between each other and the community
- Let us know if you see something that worries you by reporting a post or private message
- Use the community safely, and reach out for offline support if we think we might need more urgent help
- Tell people what to do or give ‘expert’ advice – there’s rarely one answer to a problem
- Use the site to promote commercial services
- Post anything which is racist, homophobic, sexist or transphobic
- Make personal attacks or harass other users
- Share personal contact details (this includes links to Facebook or other social media profiles)
- Swearing or offensive language (including suggested swearing through symbols or images of swear words).
- Post sexual content or innuendo- as this kind of content can be unsafe or upsetting for other users. This includes images and profile pictures.
- Post or share images about about things that could be upsetting for others, for example details of abuse, violence, self harm, or suicide plans.
- Use private messages inappropriately- eg sharing sexual content, soliciting for personal details, or offering crisis support
The moderators will:
- Respect your confidentiality. What you share here is between you and Hafal. We would only tell someone else (for example, by calling 999) if you ask us to, or if we know your name and where you are and you’ve told us that you’re at risk of serious harm, or if we are worried that someone else might be hurt.
- Review all reports sent to Clic’s inbox, and do what we can to help
- Take your concerns seriously – Clic is yours, and we want you to feel safe and supported here
- Where possible, read all posts and comments, and remove anything which breaks the house rules or leaves the community feeling unsafe. We may give you feedback to help you post safely
- Do our best to resolve any technical problems as quickly as possible
The moderators won’t:
- Trample on your conversations – the moderators may need to pop in from time to time, but this is your space to talk about what’s on your mind. Private messages stay private, unless a user tells us that they’re worried
- Pass on your details or use your information for anything else unless we have your permission. We may contact the emergency services if you tell us that you’re unsafe, and give us enough details to locate you
- Be able to respond to reports or messages overnight. We’re around from 09:00 – 17:00 until we incorporate our 24/7 moderation service.
Tips on posting safely
We encourage you to write openly and honestly about your experiences. With some topics, like thoughts of self harm or suicide, we would ask users to be mindful of the following:
- It’s ok to share thoughts and feelings around self harm and suicide. But please avoid graphic descriptions or images, or detail about methods.
- If you’re feeling very unsafe, please consider contacting your mental health team, the Samaritans (116 123 / email@example.com), or the emergency services first.
- It’s ok to share thoughts and feelings about food, eating and drinking. But please avoid numbers of calories, measurements, amounts of food eaten, images of weight loss or detail about methods of gaining or losing weight.
- We know a lot of people might struggle with issues such as addiction or alcohol abuse. It’s fine to seek support, but please do avoid specifics about quantities or details about illegal drug use
- If you feel worried or uncertain, pleas check our contacts and information sections of the site
Taking care of your own mental health
If things are tough for you right now, reach out to the other users to get it off your chest. But it’s also important to think about whether you might need more urgent support or to talk to someone face to face.
- Try not to take on too much – extend the same kindness to yourself as to other users.
- Take breaks – talking online can be overwhelming, try not to feel under pressure to respond if you need time
- Think about what you’re comfortable sharing – its good to hear how you’re doing, but sharing too much can leave you feeling vulnerable. You can remove posts or private messages you don’t want to see.
- Urgent support – if you’re not feeling safe or it’s all too much, contact the Samaritans (116 123 / firstname.lastname@example.org), call 999 or go to your nearest A&E department. The ‘Contacts’ section can also help you to explore your options.
Terms & Conditions
You must comply with the following terms and conditions if you wish to use the Clic website. Below we have displayed some of the key information contained in the terms and conditions. We do however require all users to read the full document.
- All users must be over 18 years of age.
- Users must follow the rules outlined when posting content to the website
- This website is not a substitute for professional services and has been created to provide people with experience of mental illnesses and carers a place to support others with similar experiences. If you feel you require professional advice or help we urge you to contact the relevant professionals.
- During testing our site will be monitored between 09:00 – 17:00 Monday – Friday. All flagged content however will be answered within an hour to ensure the site remains safe for use.
- To ensure your safety on the site we rely on an element of self-moderation from the community. Therefore if you read, see or hear any inappropriate content or behaviour that breaches our rules or that you find offensive
- Please use the report link for inappropriate Content, or message the moderators about any inappropriate behaviour immediately.
- If you break our House Rules, we may remove you and/or your Content from the Site immediately.
- No advertising please – the Site is for personal use only.
1.1 By using the Site you agree to be legally bound by these Terms and Conditions, which shall take effect immediately on your first use of the Site. If you do not wish to be bound by these Terms and Conditions, then you may not use the Site.
1.2 Hafal may change or replace these Terms and Conditions at any time, without prior notice to you, by posting changes online. Please review these Terms and Conditions regularly. Continued use of the Site after changes to the Terms and Conditions are posted means you agree to be legally bound by the updated Terms and Conditions.
1.3 The purpose of this Site is to provide a safe forum for people to share experiences and help each other cope with the challenges of living with mental health problems.
2.1 The Content on this Site is owned by Hafal or third parties. No Content from this Site may be copied, used or reproduced without written consent, except where it is used for non-commercial personal use where no consent is required. Please send your written requests to use Content from the Site to email@example.com
2.2 The Hafal and Clic name, logo and strapline are trademarks of Hafal
3.1 Hafal endeavours to make sure the Content it posts to the Site is accurate and up to date but does not accept any liability for error or omission in any Content on the Site (including user Content), or if you or any person or organisation relies on or uses that Content.
3.2 The moderators of this Site cannot pre-check the Content posted and therefore we make no claims as to the accuracy, integrity, timeliness or quality of such Content.
3.3 Hafal is not a medical organisation and provides information rather than advice. Hafal does not accept liability for any inconvenience, harm, loss or damage arising from the use or inability to use any of the information on this Site.
3.4 This Site facilitates peer support; it should not be used as a substitute for professional advice. You should consult your doctor, or other relevant professional, before making any decisions that could affect you or others.
3.5 Hafal takes no responsibility for the Content of external websites and any such links to external websites on the Site should not be taken as an endorsement of any kind.
3.6 Hafal shall not be liable for any loss or damage caused or alleged to be caused by your use of another Site or resource. Any concerns regarding any external link should be reported immediately using the report link.
4.1 Hafal will only collect, process and store information we have openly collected from you or with your consent, in accordance with data protection laws. Your details will be held only by Hafal and will not be made available to any third party, except as set out in these Terms and Conditions, where you provide your consent to us, where safeguarding or a mental health crisis is concerned where Hafal’s policies and procedures on safeguarding and mental health crises will be applied, or in the interests of developing and improving this Site.
4.2 The Site may email users about activity on the Site such as notifications or password resets. Hafal may email users from time to time about the Site, for example, about improvements, developments or changes to these Terms and Conditions. Hafal may also email users about opportunities, information or activities (of Hafal or third parties), but where such contact is e-marketing, Hafal will only do so where the user has provided his/her consent.
4.3 You can access and update information supplied by you by logging in with your user name and password.
4.4 If you send information to Hafal via email, please be aware that Hafal cannot guarantee its security during transit. Once received, email information will be stored in accordance with data protection law.
4.6 We use the categorisation set out by the International Chamber of Commerce in their UK Cookie Guide (PDF 290kb). We use all four categories of cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies are essential for you to move around our Site and to use its features, like your account.
- Performance cookies collect anonymous information about how you use our Site, like which pages are visited most. No information that identifies you is kept.
- Functionality cookies remember choices you make to improve your experience, like your text size or location. They may also be used to provide services you have asked for such as watching a video or commenting on a blog. The information we store is anonymous.
- Targeting or advertising cookies collect information about your browsing habits in order to make advertising relevant to you and your interests.
4.8 We will take reasonable precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or unauthorised alteration of information you give us.
5.1 Participation in, and use of, this Site is at your own risk.
5.2 All views and information, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, by users are individual and not the views, policy or advice of Hafal. You understand and acknowledge that Content is the sole responsibility of the person from which such Content originated.
5.3 The naming of health or care providers, legal services and/or their individual staff is not permitted on the Site, with the exception of posters where you have obtained prior consent to do so from Hafal. In all other circumstances, Hafal aims to remove such references, but has no obligation to do so.
5.4 The use of the Site for gathering information for surveys, articles and research studies, or similar, is not allowed unless prior written consent has been given by Hafal.
5.5 This Site is for users over the age of 18 – some Content may be inappropriate for those under the age of 18. Users under the age of 18 will have their accounts removed and if you are under 18 you agree not to use the Site.
5.6 You agree not to participate in mischievous or malicious behaviour which causes damage or may cause damage to Hafal or this Site, any other user of the Site, or any of the computer systems on which this Site resides.
5.7 By using this Site you agree to these terms and conditions. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions, you cannot use this Site and Hafal reserves the right to prohibit you from using this Site.
5.8 You must keep secret any password you have and not let any other person or organisation use it. You must notify us immediately of any suspected misuse of your password.
5.9 Except as permitted in these Terms and Conditions, you may not alter the Site in any way or do anything that might or will damage or disrupt the good working order of the Site or our equipment or software.
5.10 If your access to the Site is terminated or suspended for any reason, you must not access the Site or create a new profile without our prior consent.
5.11 You must not post or upload any Content or use the Site in a way that breaches any law.
5.12 Hafal does not guarantee that this Site will be uninterrupted or error free, or that the Site or your use of it will be free of viruses or harmful material. You are responsible for ensuring that your computer is suitable to use this Site.
Postings and messages
6.1 Content that is posted to this Site or otherwise included in its private messaging systems, including your choice of public name or id, must follow these conditions:
6.2 You agree that any information you provide or Content you post is true.
6.3 Content must not be obscene, defamatory or libellous, inflammatory, vulgar, discriminatory, harassing, sexually orientated, racial, political, hateful, threatening, in violation of any laws or good morals and practice, personally abusive or that brings or is likely to bring this Site or Hafal into disrepute. You hereby undertake to indemnify and hold harmless Hafal against all costs and expenses (including direct, indirect, special and consequential losses) from any such actions committed by you.
6.4 Content containing personal contact details (full names, email addresses/links, phone numbers, fax numbers or postal addresses) is not allowed.
6.5 It is acceptable to post Content containing personal endorsement of products and services that may be of benefit to others.
6.6 Content must not contain commercial advertising, and unsolicited messages for the purpose of advertising a product or service will be removed.
6.7 Content advertising items, whether for sale or donation, are not permitted on this Site. This includes offers of second-hand equipment or books.
6.8 Content must not be excessively repeated intentionally.
6.9 Content must not infringe or violate another party’s rights (including, but not limited to, copyright and/or intellectual property rights, and rights of privacy and publicity).
6.10 Please do not post medical, legal or financial information in an advisory capacity. Hafal aims to remove such Content, but has no obligation to do so.
6.11 Please keep any links that you post relevant to the discussion. Hafal is not responsible for the Content of external Sites and may remove external links without further notice.
6.12 By submitting Content to the Site, you grant Hafal a non-exclusive worldwide royalty-free perpetual non-revocable licence to use, distribute, adapt, modify, display, reproduce and transmit such Content in any and all media in the manner in whole or in part without any duty to account to you. You also grant Hafal the right to allow/facilitate users of the Site to view and copy such information for personal use. If we do use your Content outside of the Site we will do so anonymously unless you have given us permission to use your name.
6.13 You agree not to post any chain letters, spam, or junk messages to other users or on the Site.
6.14 You agree to respect the privacy and wishes of those users who you have been privately messaging. You must not pass on details to third parties (except Hafal) without permission.
6.15 By sending or receiving a private message you consent to that message being viewed by Hafal or its representatives, where Hafal have been notified of a problem or a breach of these Terms and Conditions.
7.1 The Site will be moderated on weekdays between 09:00 – 17:00. The Site may be moderated for limited hours during public holidays. We will read every report within 24 hours.
7.2 Please use the report link for inappropriate Content, or message the moderators about inappropriate behaviour immediately.
7.3 Hafal has the right, but no obligation, to remove, edit, move or close any Content, posts, message or group of messages for any reason at any time.
7.4 Hafal has the right to modify or delete any or all information relating to a user, including closure of that user’s account, without prior notice or reason at any time.
7.5 Any removal or banning of a visitor from anywhere within the Site is binding and the decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into, nor will forum managers or moderators be obliged to provide an explanation of their decision.
7.6 Posts discussing moderators’ decisions on the Site will be removed. People who wish to discuss any decision made by a moderator should contact the moderating team firstname.lastname@example.org
7.7 Hafal is not obliged to enter into any correspondence with those who wish to challenge moderation decisions made in relation to Content on this Site or its removal. In cases of dispute, please follow Hafal’s complaints procedure by emailing email@example.com . The decision of Hafal shall be final.
7.8 Where a breach of these Terms and Conditions occurs Hafal reserves the right to take such action as it sees fit. If your use of this Site, uploading of Content or breach of these Terms and Conditions creates losses for Hafal, you will compensate Hafal for all its losses (including direct and indirect losses, consequential and special damages, all costs and other damages in accordance with 6.3 above).
8.1 We may assign, transfer, novate or subcontract any or all of our rights and obligations under these Terms and Conditions at any time.
8.2 If any term of these Terms and Conditions is illegal, invalid, or unenforceable for any reason, the remaining terms shall continue to be valid.
8.3 These Terms and Conditions and your use of this Site are governed by British law and you are subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the British courts.
8.4 Except in respect of a payment obligation to Hafal, neither you nor Hafal will be held liable for any failure to perform any obligation to the other due to causes beyond either our or your reasonable control.
8.5 Failure or delay by either party to enforce an obligation or exercise a right under these Terms and Conditions shall not be a waiver of that obligation/right.
8.6 These Terms and Conditions do not confer any rights on any person or party (other than you and/or Hafal) under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
Exclusion of Liability
9.1 Hafal hereby excludes all and any losses, liabilities, claims, damages, expenses or costs (whether as a consequence of its negligence or otherwise) arising in connection with:
- your use or inability to use the Site;
- any unauthorised access to or alterations of information provided by you;
- your use of any third party Sites (including without limitation those that may be connected by hyperlink to this Site);
- any arrangements entered into with any third party in connection with any information provided by or in connection with this Site;
- the inaccuracy, incompleteness or tardiness of any information supplied through the service other than, in each case, any liability in respect of death or personal injury.
9.2 If Hafal is liable to you for any reason, our liability will be limited to £200.
9.3 Nothing in these Terms and Conditions excludes any liability to you we may have for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, for which no limitation applies.
Notice and Contact
10.1 All contact or notices to be given in relation to these Terms and Conditions or your use of this Site shall be given:
- to us via email to firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- to you, via these Terms and Conditions or the email address you provide when signing up to the Site (or later update).
10.2 Notice will be deemed received when an email is received in full.
11.1 ‘this Site’ and ‘the Site’ refers to all Internet pages in the hafal.org/clic domain.
11.2 ‘Hafal’ includes the registered charity Hafal (details given below) any person or organisation engaged by Hafal (including as its agent/contractor) in any part of the design, development, operation, marketing, promotion or other similar aspects of this Site.
11.3 ‘user’ and ‘you’ refer to any person viewing or interacting with this Site.
11.4 ‘Content’ refers to any text, post, message, photograph or other image presented on this Site to one or more users by either Hafal or users, including private messages.
11.5 ‘Moderator’ refers to any person from Hafal moderating the Site.
Hafal is a registered Company in England and Wales, No. 4504443. Limited by Guarantee. Charity number: 1093747.